|Deer Park, Ohio is a one square mile
community 14 miles from Downtown Cincinnati. Surrounded by Silverton,
Kenwood, Amberley Village, Dillonvale, and Sycamore Township.
The population of Deer Park is approximately 5982. 2000 Census
The approximate number of families is 2731.
The amount of land area in Deer Park is 2.218 sq. kilometers. Or 0.8803129 sq. miles.
The amount of surface water is 0 sq kilometers.
The distance from Deer Park to Washington DC is 419 miles. The distance to the Ohio state capital is 96 miles. (as the crow flies)
Deer Park is positioned 39.20 degrees north of the equator and 84.39 degrees west of the prime meridian.
In the Beginning
The City is Planned
|The city's founders gathered in the back
room of what is now the Deer Park Inn on Blue Ash Road. Built in 1886 as
Helds Tavern, it was just the second building in what would eventually
become Deer Park, said owner Hermann Tegenkamp.
''They used to say if you could hit a ball from the field across the street into the front door, you'd get a free drink,'' he said. A grocery now stands on the site of that baseball diamond.
Deer Park was laid out in 1886 as a suburb of residences. The first church, St. John's Catholic, was dedicated in 1892. Still mostly rural, Deer Park was incorporated as a village in 1912. There were 327 residents.
Most of the meetings of the leaders pushing to incorporate the area as a village were held in the back room of Helds Tavern. So when Deer Park was formed, council meetings were held in that same room, At the end of meetings, official minutes say, ''council adjourned to the bar.''
During the 50's, 60's and 70's the City was typical Americana with silver maple canopy tree lined streets. The neighborhood streets were always full of kids. The park is always a short walk away where there once was a small swimming pool often called the ``toe wash" once stood. The park was the place to be if you were a kid. The park was always the center of the communities actives like the 12th night Christmas tree burning or the summer ice cream socials, the Play Grounds Mothers kept the park looking nice with flowers and such..
There were and are lots of little stores like Williams
Pharmacy, assorted carry outs and Pony Kegs like Gabby's Pony Keg and
Deer Park Deli on Blue Ash Rd and Judy's Food Market. Ohio Food Market,
Squeak's Barber Shop Squeak Healy who was a very long time Mayor
of Deer Park. The hardware store and tire store across from the theater.
Also who could forget Golden Cream Doughnuts, Dipsy Doodle Restaurant,
Coney Chef, Ziegler's Gulf Station, Pasquale's Pizza, Webster's
Carry Out, The Coin Laundromat, Boerger Dairy and the A&P Supermarket
"Now Deer Park Roofing". There was even several Ice Cream Trucks
``Mr. Softie" that traveled the city streets. It is a place were
everyone looked after one another and kids could and still can walk
safely any where in the city.
You might notice in Deer Park a lot of pockets of business mixed with residual houses. I think this is in large part the city is spilt in half. The rail road runs right through the center of town making it hard to form a central area.
The woodlands and cool shaded waters have long since disappeared, however, Deer Park still maintains a quiet, restful atmosphere. Branching off from the business section are many tree-shaded streets with dwellings that range from ranches and Cape Cods to other type homes that are tastefully designed. Although most of the residents have been here for many years, Deer Park is beginning to attract new residents. The community offers wholesome living in an area that never lost its respect for peace and quiet.
Little Known Facts
John Schenck, who owned a farm in what is now Deer Park and aided fugitive slaves, used trickery to keep Morgan from coming to his farm and stealing horses, according to Horwitz’s book. A female member of his family in a nurse’s uniform met Morgan’s party as they neared the house and warned them that a child in the house suffered from the deadly smallpox virus. The men quickly left, and the Schencks retained their horses.
As late as 1921 only a footpath of cinders existed along present-day Matson Avenue.
In 1925’s landslide election for the position of marshal, Walter Schneider captured all but two of the towns 243 votes cast.
Deer Park once had its own Dairy. Woodmont Dairy use to sit on Galbraith Road where the electric transfer station now sits just east of Amity School. It closed back in the 60's. The trucks use to travel Deer Park and surrounding areas and fill the customers ice box with milk, butter and cheese.
Deer Park once had its own post office "The building later became Deer Park Auto Parts". The post office moved to Silverton. The Taft Branch.
Bader Hardware was the town source for hardware needs and supplies. Sadly it has closed. The building still sits across the street catty corner from the bowling ally.
Deer Park suffered severe property damage during the 1969 tornado that struck the southwest corner of town hardest. Other parts of the town had limbs down and some power outage. Fortunately, no lives were lost. It was amazing to see all the folks who lived in the area as well as other folks from Deer Park just start to clean up all the trees blocking the streets.
Deer Park Volunteer Life Squad, organized in 1939, was the second such department organized in the United States.
Old Betsey was one of the first fire trucks the City owned and later was placed in the park for kids to play on. It was fun when they first put it in the park. You could always play on it or go for a swim in the Toe Wash.
Matson Avenue was named after Ollie Matson Schenck, granddaughter of early settler Dr. Daniel Schenck.
Parrott Ave between Orchard Lane and Clifford Ave was named after one of the first families to settle in Deer Park Ohio
"Glenn's Barbershop". It was right next to the "Deer Park Del" in the same building. My Great Grandmother lived upstairs in that same building which was owned by her and her husband, Eliga "Pop" Connelly, who was also involved in Deer Park Government.